Not to be confused with Wampus, the car it uses.
The Wampus is a bot that randomly shows up in races. It is the rarest bot. If a racer successfully beats The Wampus in a race, they will receive an extra $50,000. The Wampus uses the title "You'll Never Beat Me!"(which is exclusive to The Wampus).
He is considered an NPC (non-player character) in the game, yet the admins can still access The Wampus's account and perform any action that players can.
As a joke, the Nitro Type admins said The Wampus was created when a bot tried to gain access to the Matrix and reprogrammed itself.
The number of wins against The Wampus also amounts to three different achievements:
- Wampus Thwamper (Beat the Wampus once)
- Catty Wampus (Beat the Wampus 5 times)
- His Other Ride (Beat the Wampus 10 times)
- He is the only bot with a racer page, created by the Nitro Type staff.
- Despite having an account, to actually find The Wampus' profile players have to search in the friend bar, go to his link directly, which is https://www.nitrotype.com/racer/wampus, or type in ‘Wampus’ in the racer profile url, because they can't click on The Wampus' profile after a race.
- You were once able to add The Wampus as a friend, but that option has since been removed.
- He declined all friend requests sent before the option was removed.
- He was added to Nitro Type on January 10, 2014, even though his profile page says he has been a member since September 8, 2011. This was changed by the admins sometime in June 2020.
- Before viewing other's advanced stats was removed, scattered throughout his statistics are many instances of the number 1,337, including gold, bronze, silver medals, number of races, longest race session, and number of nitros used.
- This is a reference to leetspeak, an alternative way to write text which is associated with the hacker culture. 1337 is leetspeak for leet, an alternate spelling of elite.
- These statistics were disrupted when a player logged into The Wampus' account and did several races. However, they have since been reverted to what they were originally.
- Out of every account on Nitro Type, The Wampus has the most profile views, with just over 2 million as of May 2021.
- He always appears on the race track less than a second after the 4th player joins the race, regardless if they are a player or a bot.
- According to Travis, the inspiration behind The Wampus came from the C64 game, M.U.L.E.
- On May 17, 2019, an unknown user logged into The Wampus' account. The display name was changed to ᴹᴼᵘˢᵉℜ and later ThePetMouseofTravis. They also disbanded his team, Wampus Postal Service, and did one race on team GDJB. In addition, the Wampus car was painted, all other cars were sold, the Minnie the Cooper was bought, 20 races were completed, and 33 nitros were used before the account was locked.
- The Wampus used to have 3 cars in his garage, but after the shop's release, the other cars were removed from his garage by admins leaving him with one car.
- Despite The Wampus' account showing that he has Gold Membership, on the track and on the race results screen, it does not have bolded gold text or a golden racer tag. (Note that in races the Wampus' custom username is shown.)
- The Wampus used be at level 1,337, the highest level account on Nitro Type. However, it was reset to one right before Season 28 started to go along with the new season update.
- Season 28's theme revolved around The Wampus and even introduced a new member of his family, Chompus, which can be seen in Chompus' Wild Ride.
- On August 20, 2020, a new track was released for testing that features a fully animated Wampus. During the progression of a race, his head will move back and forth, his tail will flail, and his body shakes. He will also cry after losing a race and laugh after winning. Additionally, he has an animated namecard and a revamped fire trail.