Not to be confused with Nitro, Nitro Type's mascot.
Nitros are used to skip a word or number while racing. When pressing the "enter" key during a race, the current word (or next word when used on a space) will be skipped. Using a nitro does not increase or decrease WPM. (When used at the end of a race, it can sometimes bring your speed up or down 1-3 WPM, unexplainably.)
Pressing the "enter" key on the keyboard, or pressing the "return" key on mobile, triggers a nitro to be used. Upon this happening, not only does a blue streak appear behind the player's car, but the track pulses. Only one nitro per race can be used.
Nitros are commonly used on words that are long or difficult to type, and when strategically used, it is possible for players to win many more races than otherwise possible. This practice has been criticized by some players, however, due to the fact that nitro usage on longer words discourages actual typing practice. Skillfully using a nitro at the end of a race has been referred to by players as "nitrolling".
There used to be a Hall of Fame category for most nitros used.
Updates and changes
Throughout Nitro Type history, many changes have been made to regulate nitro use and distribution:
- On September 7, 2016, users who had an average WPM of less than 10 were no longer allowed to use nitros. In addition, users who averaged 11-20 WPM could only use 1 nitro per race, users averaging 21-30 WPM could only use 2 nitros per race, and anyone who typed faster than 30 WPM could continue using three nitros per race.
- Nitros were once purchasable from the dealership in increments of 10 Nitros and $20,000, and they were sold for $500 each in the garage. After Nitro Type 2.0, Nitros could only be bought and sold in groups of 10. Before the update; however, nitros could be bought and sold individually.
- In December 2018, it was announced that the ability to sell nitros would be removed with the start of the new year; however, nitro selling was not removed at the beginning of 2019. Travis then stated that the ability to sell them would be removed once he "figures out a better system for distributing nitros". The ability to buy and sell nitros was later removed in v3.
- On November 30, 2019, all players were given an unlimited nitro supply, and the nitro reward for getting first or second place in a race was removed. Nitros were also removed from being a mystery box reward, and the amount of nitros that could be used per race was decreased from 3 to 1. This change (unlimited nitros) was then reverted and then reinstated. No compensation was provided for players who lost nitros in this November update.
- On May 7, 2020, there was an update in which the ability to use nitros was removed from the 1-10 and 11-15 WPM zones. This was to combat an exploit in which racers would purposely lower their average speeds to 9 WPM for extremely short texts and use their nitro on the longest word of the text, effectively skipping up to half of the entire text, which increased the amount of races one could complete by a drastic amount.
The table below contains all of the achievements that can/could be completed by using nitros.
|Achievement||Nitros Used||Reward||Achievement Section||Still Available?||Hidden?|
|Zipping Past Words||10||"Word Skipper"||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|Type Words? Not Me!||100||"I Hate Words"||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|Skip, Skip, Skip||200||"I Love Nitros"||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|I Skip Sentences||300||Rand Rover R/T||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|Epic Word Skippage||400||"Epic Word Skippage"||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|Never Typing Big Words||1,000||"Epic Nitro User"||Nitro Addiction||Yes||No|
|Summer of Nitros||20||$40,000||2013, 2014, and 2015 Summer Event||No||No|
|I Smell Smoke||50||$100,000||2013, 2014, and 2015 Summer Event||No||No|
|What's Burning?||200||$400,000||2013, 2014, and 2015 Summer Event||No||No|
|So Many Nitros!||500||$1,000,000||2013, 2014, and 2015 Summer Event||No||No|
|Summer Hacker||1,000||"Summer Hacker"||2013 Summer Event||No||No|
|Winter of Nitros||20||$40,000||2013 and 2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|I Smell Ice||50||$100,000||2013 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|You Cold Bro||100||$200,000||2013 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Ice Patch||200||$400,000||2013 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Cold As Ice||400||"Cold As Ice"||2013 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Dark Elf||1,000/600||Dark Elf||2013 and 2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Hot Hot Hot!||1,000||"Hot Hot Hot!"||2014 Summer Event||No||No|
|That a Dolphin?||2,000||Hammer Wheels||2014 Summer Event||No||No|
|Season of Nitros||20||$40,000||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|I Smell Snow||50||$100,000||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|You Chilly Bro||100||$200,000||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Good Grief||200||$400,000||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|72% Accuracy. Niec! ☃||400||"i luv nitrontip!1"||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Buddy's Ride||600||Buddy's Snowmobile||2014, 2015, and 2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Kringle 4000 XL||1,000||Kringle 4000 XL||2014 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Burnin' Rubber||1,000||"Burnin' Rubber"||2015 Summer Event||No||No|
|Add That Up||2,000||Six Four Plus Three||2015 and 2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|Fresh Powder||50||$100,000||2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|You Frosty Bro||100||$200,000||2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Good Golly||200||$400,000||2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Velocity Wrapper||400||"Velocity Wrapper"||2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|L.T. Smash||1,000||Kringle 5000 L.T.||2015 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Reel Magic||20||$40,000||2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|D-bait-able||50||$100,000||2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|Fear Knot||200||$400,000||2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|Drop the Bass||500||$1,000,000||2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|Cod Squad||1,000||"Cod Squad"||2016 Summer Event||No||No|
|Snow Down!||20||$40,000||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Gnarly Powder||50||$100,000||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|You Frosty Girl||100||$200,000||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Good Holly||200||$400,000||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Conductor||400||"Conductor"||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Lamborgotti Xmaxx LT-C||1,000||Lamborgotti Xmaxx LT-C||2016 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Getting Warm||20||$40,000||2017 Summer Event||No||No|
|Getting Toasty||50||$100,000||2017 Summer Event||No||No|
|Heat Wave||200||$400,000||2017 Summer Event||No||No|
|Strykist 1300 XT-LR||500||Strykist 1300 XT-LR||2017 Summer Event||No||No|
|Weekend Racer||1,000||"Weekend Racer"||2017 Summer Event||No||No|
|Make it Rein||20||$40,000||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Snow Way!||50||$100,000||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Achieve-mint Chip||100||$200,000||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|#elfie||200||"#elfie"||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Snow Baller||400||"Snow Baller"||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Car == Lit||600||Lamborgotti Xmaxx LT||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Missile Toe H&T||1,000||Missile Toe H&T||2017 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|May the Fourth||504||"The Force"||2018 PAC Event||No||Yes|
|Summer Sizzle||20||$40,000||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|It's a Scorcher!||50||$100,000||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|Burned My Fuel||100||$200,000||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|My Pie Melted||200||$400,000||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|HoverJet 5000 Mk. 3||400||HoverJet 5000 Mk. 3||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|Mmm... Lemonade||600||$1,200,000||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|Surf's Up||1,000||Six Four||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||No|
|I-Scream||1,500||"I-Scream"||2018 Surf n' Turf Event||No||Yes|
|Study Session||20||$40,000||2018 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Cram Session||50||$100,000||2018 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|The Underachiever||200||The Underachiever||2018 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Straight A's||500||$500,000||2018 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|The Graduate||1,000||"The Graduate"||2018 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Brrrritos||20||$40,000||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Chili Brrrrgers||50||$100,000||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Brrrrioche||100||$200,000||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Winter Besties||200||"Winter Besties"||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Makin' it Rein||400||"Makin' it Rein"||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|The Wraptor GG||1,000||The Wraptor GG||2018 Xmaxx Event||No||No|
|Nitro Igniter||50||$250,000||Season 21||No||No|
|Nitro Burnout||300||"Nitro Burnout"||Season 21||No||No|
|Buggy Racer||50||$250,000||Season 22||No||No|
|I Have Fans!||150||"I Have Fans!"||Season 22||No||No|
|Running the Halls||10||$50,000||2019 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Sprinting Through the Halls||25||$100,000||2019 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Nitro Scholar||50||"Nitro Scholar"||2019 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|H2GO||100||H2GO||2019 Back 2 School Event||No||No|
|Spooky Fast||25||$25,000||Season 24||No||No|
|Count Track-ula||50||"Count Track-ula"||Season 24||No||No|
|Snap, Crackle, Pop||200||"Snap, Crackle, Pop"||Season 25||No||No|
|X to the Maxx||500||"X to the Maxx"||Season 25||No||No|
The following achievements were removed along with the purchasing of nitros.
|Achievement||Nitros Purchased||Reward||Achievement Section||Still Available?||Hidden?|
|My First Nitro!||1||$500||So Easy, Why Wait?||No||No|
|Nitro Helps Me Win||10||$1,000||Nitro Addiction||No||No|
|More Nitros 4 U||30||$2,000||Nitro Addiction||No||No|
|Nitro Collector||50||$5,000||Nitro Addiction||No||No|
- In 2011, there was a known glitch on the site, in which you could have negative nitros that added a word to the passage. Using these could damage your account. Obtaining more nitros would erase how many negative nitros you had. For example, let's say you had negative 50 (-50) nitros, and you won 1st place in a race and got two nitros (+2), you would then have negative 48 (-48) nitros. This glitch was later patched.
- Nitros used to run out from top to bottom, but this was later changed so that nitros run from bottom to top in the panel.
- Before being demoted from admin, asssa123 had talked about NT's plans to:
- Reduce the chances of getting nitros in a mystery box (this was eliminated entirely with the unlimited nitros update).
- Have limits as to how many nitros a player could use in a certain amount of time (depending on their speed).
- Take away all nitro achievements. In fact, for Season 22 he had said that there wouldn't be nitro achievements and that they would most likely be replaced with friends racing achievements. However, this didn't happen, and there were two nitro achievements (Buggy Racer and I Have Fans!) and no friend racing achievements in Season 22. This did, however, eventually end up happening for season achievements (starting in Season 26), but not all achievements entirely.