Trails are animations that can be seen on the track and in player garages that will "trail" behind one's car. They can be collected through achievements and the Shop, and can be equipped with the Customizer. Only one trail can be equipped at a time, and it can be unequipped by selecting the "No Trail" option.
Below is a table with all of the available trails, in order of ID. Click on the images to view the full-sized trails.
|Cash Money||Cash Store||Buy Nitro Cash||No||449|
|Please Like||Special Sauce||Please Like||No||474|
|Gold||Gold Membership||Raining Gold||Yes||479|
|Travel Trailer||Season 34||Tier 29||Yes||513|
|Beachball||Season 34||Tier 12||No||514|
|Burnout||Season 34||Tier 8||No||515|
|Shark||Season 34||Tier 20||Yes||516|
Trails made their debut during the 2015 Halloween Event when the admins decided to give everyone "a little taste of the upcoming trails feature," originally intended to be released at the end of the event. They returned for every subsequent Halloween/Hallowampus event. In those events, a trail appeared in every race if the player was using a Halloween car. On May 2, 2019, trails were released to all users, but with a randomized chance of them appearing behind them. On April 16, 2021, trails were released to Gold Members via the Raining Gold achievement. Trails were available to the general public on April 18, 2021, being detailed in a news post on that very same day.
- Nitro Type admins, Penguin Typer, and The Wampus were the only users that had full access to this feature and could use it whenever they wanted before the Gold Trail was released on April 16th, 2021.
- The Wampus originally used the smoke trail, but that was changed later on to the flame trail after the release of Nitro Type 2.0.
- After The Wampus was animated on October 18, 2020, he no longer had any trails equipped.
- Prior to April 18, 2021, it was confirmed that trails have a 1/150 chance of appearing behind a player's car during a race.
- On April 10, 2021, Penguin Typer received a custom trail for his success on YouTube and the growth of his channel.
- Tim equipped a trail on April 11, 2021.
- When the Cash Money trail was added, there was a bug that left the Buy Nitro Cash achievement incomplete even if players had purchased cash, forcing them to email support to get the trail. This was resolved within a couple of days, and the trail was distributed retroactively.
- There was a bug that, when in the Customizer, if you switch quickly between two trails, the trail you chose and the trail which appears will be mismatched.
- Season 34 - Summer Trails was the first season to have trails as a rewardable loot item, with four trails available.